Crispy Egg Whites
I am a huge crispy food fan. In fact, I’d pick crispy over non crispy 9 times out of 10. But I’m not referring to deep fried food (Hello — I’m in a wedding in 10 months). One example? Crispy egg whites. Oh yes. This is not a scramble with some hard bits. I’m talking about something with a real bite.
I started making crispy egg whites in an effort to gussy up traditional scrambles. Not that there’s anything wrong with a good scramble – I just prefer things the way I like them. But really…who doesn’t? I know I’m not alone here.
Ingredients for one serving:
1/2 oz of strong cheese (I typically use blue or Parmesan)*
1/2C halved cherry tomatoes
Salt + pepper to taste
*Strong and pungent cheese is especially beneficial for those of us watching our waistline. This way, we can use less and still get a big bang for our buck. Big flavor, small calories. We’re golden.
1. Heat a non stick skillet over high heat for about 45 seconds then coat with cooking spray (in order to determine whether the skillet is hot enough, hold your hand over it – if you can only hold your hand there for only a few seconds, you’re good to go)
2. Reduce heat to medium and add egg whites (it is VERY important that you not agitate the eggs, so as to let a crust begin to form) cook about 3 minutes
3. The eggs will bubble – this is exactly what you want
4. Shake the skillet to determine if the eggs are ready for a flip (if the eggs stay attached to the pan they are not yet ready, if the eggs slide around the pan they are ready)
5. With a heat-safe silicone spatula, gently slide the spatula under the eggs, gather all your chutzpah and flip
6. Top the eggs with cheese and cook about 1 1/2 – 2 minutes (you may want to cover the eggs for the last 30 seconds to help the cheese melt)
7. Shake the skillet the same way as step #4, and slide the eggs from the skillet onto the plate, top with tomatoes and season with salt and pepper
Measuring the egg whites:
You can use a scale to measure (weigh) the cheese:
Eggs into the hot pan:
Beginning to form a crust:
When the eggs are ready for a flip, slide the spatula underneath:
Blue cheese topped egg whites:
Skillet covered with a mismatched lid (works just fine):
Easy lift off:
Nutrition information per serving:
135 calories, 1g carbohydrates, 4g fat, 18g protein, 1g fiber
I want to bite him in the most non-creepy way possible. He is so good!
What’s your favorite cheese? I’d love to hear from you if you try this recipe! Hope you enjoy…
The Future Mrs. Wolf