How to Eat Healthy While Traveling
How to eat healthy while traveling?! I get asked this question from my clients all the time. It can be challenging, but with a few tips and the proper mindset, you can definitely get through it! Keep reading for my top 5 tips:
- It’s hard to make good choices at a highway rest stop or a convenience store. If you bring your own snacks, you don’t even have to step foot in those shops.
Pack Foods You Actually Like
- Your next road trip is probably not the best time to start experimenting with new and different foods. If you aren’t sure you’re going to eat something, don’t bring it!
Think About Filling Foods
- One square of dark chocolate might be delicious, but it’s not going to hold you over for a long trip. Protein and fiber-rich foods are your friends. Fresh fruit (in season now!), nuts and seeds, bars and snack mixes.
- Even if you love Greek yogurt (and good for you! it’s so healthy!), it might not be the smartest food for a long car ride to the beach. Food safety is important – especially in the summer when temperatures rise. Remember: keep cold food cold, and hot food hot. Think about packing foods that don’t need refrigeration.
- Food is important, but so is water! Be sure to pack enough. Our brains can easily confuse thirst for hunger and you want to eat when you’re hungry and drink when you’re thirsty, not eat when you’re thirsty. Plain water or seltzer are best.
You can (almost) never be too prepared when it comes to healthy eating. I am in and out of my office multiple times each day, so for me it’s really important to have my bag packed with good-for-you and nourishing foods. You know that moment: you’re running to a meeting downtown and don’t have time to stop for something to eat. You’re starving! Carrying foods with you helps you avoid a pitstop at a local bodega to snag anything you can get your hands on.
I love packing Nourish Snacks when I’m traveling but also when I’m out and about during the day. These snacks are pre-portioned and so delicious. I love that they offer different flavors – sweet and savory. They’re created by a registered dietitian and packed with protein and fiber for extra staying power.
This weekend, my husband and I are traveling out of town and my bags are packed to the brim with snacks to keeps us fueled, satisfied and entertained! I’ve chosen four Nourish Snacks – Cashew Colada, Granny’s Apple Pie, King Korn and Nutty ‘Nanas – (two for each of us) plus four fruits (again, two for each of us). We both enjoy apples, and my husband is loving nectarines lately while I’m leaning toward plums.
I’ve seriously cut back on my coffee drinking since getting pregnant with our first baby and I’ve loved snacking on Mocha-mazing. This snack is a mix of cocoa-dusted almond and mocha granola. Yum! It totally hits the spot when I’m craving something coffee flavored, and it’s packed with protein and fiber so I know I’m fueling my body and my baby’s.
Shop here to receive 10% off now through the end of July with the code: DOMESTICATEDWOLF. Eat up!
What’s your go-to snack when you’re traveling? I’d love to hear from you!