Crispy Speck Alto Adige Salad
We are big brunchers in this house. Since our baby girl was born last month, we have been eating at home a lot. With guests coming to visit the baby, it’s been much easier for us to host than to go out. I recently served this crispy speck salad, topped with a poached egg.
We were lucky enough to be gifted the most beautiful cut of Speck Alto Adige. What a treat! It’s not everyday that I make bacon (or something similar) for my husband, and he was thrilled! This salad boasts a kicked up version of crispy bacon! If you’ve never tried speck, it’s deliciously meaty and salty. It can be thinly sliced like prosciutto or thickly cut into cubes like pancetta. It would be beautiful on a cheese plate or served alongside melon.
Ingredients for 4 servings:
1 cup diced Speck Alto Adige
1 tbsp olive oil
3 romaine hearts, chopped then rinsed and dried
2 tbsp white vinegar
2 tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
2 tbsp finely chopped shallot
1 pinch salt
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat
- Toss speck with olive oil and cook until the meat is crispy and has reduced in size, about 5-8 minutes or until golden brown
- While the speck cooks, make the dressing by combining ingredients and whisking together
- In a large bowl toss lettuce with dressing and set aside
- When the speck is cooked, place on a paper towel to drain excess fat and set aside
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add white vinegar and swirl water
- Add eggs one at a time then reduce the heat to low and cook 3 minutes until the egg whites are set and yolk is still runny
- Plate the lettuce and crispy speck evenly in 4 individual bowl and top with one poached egg and a pinch of parsley
- Serve immediately
I cannot tell you how good our apartment smelled while I was making brunch. Beyond! Have you ever cooked with speck before?I’d love to hear from you!