Chocolate Drizzled Caramel Corn
We have been having quite a winter in the northeast as of recent. On Friday we were cozily snowed in; and it gave me a perfect excuse to make something we don’t usually indulge in — caramel corn. Can someone please list one thing better than caramel and chocolate? Okay, maybe peanut butter and avocado. And glitter nails. And diamonds. But you get the picture: good things in small packages.
4C popcorn, popped*
1/3C granulated sugar
1/3C brown sugar
3 tbsp butter, unsalted
1/2tsp vanilla extract
1/3C almonds, chopped (optional)
*air popped with no added flavorings is best (cuts down on calories and fat). plain microwaved popcorn works fine, too.
1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees
2. In a heavy bottomed pot (I used this one) melt butter and sugar over medium heat
3. Add salt and cinnamon to melted sugar mixture, stir gently
4. Let the mixture come to a boil, about 3-5 minutes
5. Spread popcorn (and almonds if you are using them) evenly on a large baking sheet, using two if you do not have one large enough
6. Remove caramel from heat, add vanilla and stir gently
7. Pour caramel over popcorn, mix to incorporate evenly
8. Bake for 20 minutes, stir well and bake another 20 minutes
9. Remove popcorn from oven, spread on a piece of parchment paper and let cool
10. Over a double boiler, melt chocolate**
11. Drizzle chocolate over popcorn
** if the chocolate isn’t melting well, add a drop or two of vegetable oil and combine. this should help the chocolate melt more evenly.
what you’ll need
caramel in action
tasty without drizzle, too
full frontal chocolate drizzled finished product
In the interest of full disclosure, I have made this same recipe many, many times since Friday. I know you are thinking ‘it’s only been 3 days?!’ But, it’s that good. Most recently without the chocolate drizzle and it was just as delish. Tastes like cinnamon toffee. YES!
What’s your favorite way to eat popcorn? Sweet or savory? If you try this recipe, I’d love to hear your thoughts! Hope you enjoy…